The Woman in Black
This scheme of work explores the play The Woman in Black adapted by Stephen Mallatratt and Susan Hill from the novel by Susan Hill. It is intended to be delivered to KS3 and KS4. The overall objective is for students to be able to explore a contemporary play in a historical context. They will learn and use drama strategies, mediums and elements, as well as reaching the higher scale of the KS3 Drama Objectives.
By the end of this scheme students will have learnt:
- To know and understand the play The Woman in Black
- To explore historical and cultural issues through The Woman in Black
- To demonstrate an understanding of the characters, the events and the issues explored
- To explore the communication of atmosphere and fear to an audience
- To recognise and use drama strategies, mediums and elements
- To understand and demonstrate how to develop own and others’ work
- To assess own work and work of others.
All the text used is listed in the Resources section 1 to 3. Resource 2 is a student
booklet that can be used:
- To consolidate learning
- To check what the student understands of the work covered
- To set homework tasks
- For teacher assessment of the student
- For student self- and peer-assessment.