Roma and Balkan music
This article unveils the world of Roma music (‘gypsy’ music) in the Balkans and elsewhere in Europe. The article places an emphasis on developing an understanding of the culture of the Roma, and how this is reflected in their music and music about them.
- Varied listening (art and traditional genres)
- Class discussions of discrimination
- Working with Balkan rhythm, music and language
- Creative improvisation
- Making a Roma cimbalom (dulcimer)
- Understanding how and why Roma are a marginalised group in Europe.
Number of activities: 6