Teaching students about the history of theatre is essential when working towards a broad drama curriculum. These lessons provide a way into teaching Greek theatre to KS3 students.
The lessons focus on teaching the traditional features of Greek theatre while ensuring that the students become ‘hooked’ on exploring the narrative of a traditional Greek myth.
- To understand some of the traditional features of Greek theatre
- To become familiar with the Greek myth of Medea
- To know the layout of the amphitheatre and perform within this layout
- To understand and use different methods of choral speech and choral movement
- To understand the role of the chorus and show this through performance
- To become familiar with the Greek myth of Oedipus and explore the themes surrounding this story.