Popular music in context (Edexcel GCSE: Area of Study 3)
Context and descriptions for Miles Davis's All Blues, Jeff Buckley's Grace and Moby's Why does my heart feel so bad?
In this article I approach the Edexcel ‘Popular Music’ set works with a focus on the questions likely to be asked in the listening paper.
I have therefore addressed each set work from the point of view of the different areas of knowledge needed for the paper, as follows:
- Context – a little of the historical and stylistic background
- Style – an overview of the main stylistic features of the track
- A listening guide or overview – best read while listening to the track
- An examination of the elements of music: pitch, rhythm, harmony and tonality, instrumentation and texture, structure and any other important features
- Some sample Section A and B questions, or a guide to the types of questions likely to be set.