BTEC First Award in Performing Arts Level 1/Level 2
The specification for this qualification (Qualification Number 600/4785/9) must be read carefully and in full before units are designed by the centre. This scheme of work selects some of the key points but by no means all. The specification is found on the exam board website: www.edexcel.com.
The new BTEC Firsts are Level 2 qualifications with Pass, Merit, Distinction and Distinction* grades. If learners do not achieve a Pass at Level 2, there is an opportunity to gain a Level 1 qualification.
The objectives of the BTEC First suite are outlined in the specification on the exam board website as follows.
The BTEC First suite will:
- Enable you, as schools, colleges and training providers, to offer a high-quality vocational and applied curriculum that is broad and engaging for all learners
- Secure a balanced curriculum overall, so learners in the 14–19 age group have the opportunity to apply their knowledge, skills and understanding in the context of future development
- Provide learners with opportunities to link education and the world of work in engaging, relevant and practical ways
- Enable learners to enhance their English and mathematical competence in relevant, applied scenarios
- Support learners’ development of transferable interpersonal skills, including working with others, problem-solving, independent study, and personal learning and thinking skills
- Provide learners with a route through education that has clear progression pathways into further study or an apprenticeship.’
The Rationale for the qualification is on p.9 of the specification.
The qualification is based on 120 hours of guided learning and has core and optional units. 25 per cent of the qualification is externally assessed. Edexcel sets and marks these assessments. Two compulsory units total 60 GLH. One unit is internally assessed and the other unit is externally assessed. Optional units are normally 30 GLH.
There are 5 different pathways through this qualification:
- Musical Theatre
- Music Performance
Number of lessons: 5