This scheme of work focuses on two pieces of poetry, ‘The Ballad of Charlotte Dymond’ by Charles Causley and Pastor Niemöller’s work ‘First they came …’. It is intended to be delivered to a Year 7 class. It explores teacher in role, improvisation, devising, character building strategies, the narrator and monologue. The overall objective is that students can explore historical events and share social and current issues inspired by the text, as well as learn and use Drama skills. This scheme is built around the KS3 Drama Objectives.
By the end of this scheme students will have learnt:
- To know and understand two pieces of poetry
- To explore historical, current and social issues through drama and poetry
- To demonstrate an understanding of the characters, the events and the issues explored
- To recognise and use drama strategies
- To understand and demonstrate how to develop own and others’ work
- To assess own work and the work of others
- To perform a drama inspired by poetry.